With so many cookouts and sweet treats available during summer, it’s easy to put on a few pounds. Here are some ways to avoid gaining weight this season.
- Say no to sweets. Easier said than done though, right? When a craving for something sweet hits, try eating something sour, such as a pickle or water or tea with citrus infused in it.
- Add more fiber. Even when building a salad on your plate, fill it with fiber-enriched foods first, such as leafy greens. Then add veggies and finish with a portion or two of fatty meats.
- Drink plenty of water. Drink a large glass of water before each meal and you’ll find yourself eating less food. Coconut water is a great choice that is low in calories and helps restore electrolytes lost through sweating.
- Eat slowly. If you eat at a slower pace, you will become satisfied with eating less. Those who rush through their meal tend to overeat.
- Be wise with your snack choices. If you have a snack around mid-afternoon, you won’t be as hungry once it is dinner time. Try snacking on something that is rich in fiber and contains lean protein. Some great examples are high fiber crackers with some low-fat cheese wedges, Greek yogurt garnished with high fiber cereal or berries, or sliced fruit with almond butter.